Recently, one of my virtual machines started behaving strangely. I had SSMS 17.1 installed on the machine and it was working fine. I don’t remember what I installed, but I started facing a SSMS error. As soon as I click on SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS), it gives me below pop-up.
Cannot find one or more components. Please reinstall the application.
As mentioned in the message, I already tried reinstalling the SSMS but the error didn’t go away. I searched on the internet and found one solution which worked for me.
The steps which worked for me was to repair Visual studio shell. It seems SSMS is dependent on the visual studio shell. As I mentioned earlier, My SSMS version was 17.1 and looks like it is based on visual studio 2015 shell.
- Open the control panel and go to “Program and Featured”
- Search for shell, as shown in below image.
- In my case, it was Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Shell (Isolated). If same error happens with lower versions of SSMS like SQL Server 2014 then I think it might be some different shell.
- Choose “Change” and selected the option to “Repair”
- After the repair, I restarted the machine and then I was able to launch SSMS.
Repair worked for me. If it doesn’t work for you then you may want to uninstall and then install it again It is a free download from Microsoft site.
Have you found a solution other than above? Please share with others via command.
Reference: Pinal Dave (https://blog.sqlauthority.com)